Thursday, May 3, 2018

Review: Reached by Ally Condie

Reached (Matched, #3)

Goodreads Overview:

Cassia’s journey began with an error, a momentary glitch in the otherwise perfect façade of the Society. After crossing canyons to break free, she waits, silk and paper smuggled against her skin, ready for the final chapter.

The wait is over.


One young woman has raged against those who threaten to keep away what matters most—family, love, choice. Her quiet revolution is about to explode into full-scale rebellion. With exquisite prose, the emotionally gripping conclusion to the international–bestselling Matched trilogy returns Cassia, Ky, and Xander to the Society to save the one thing they have been denied for so long, the power to choose.

Review:

Reached is the third and final book in the Matched trilogy.  In this installment Cassia, Ky, and Xander are reunited and must work together to find a cure for the plaque that has taken over the Society.  They once thought the Rising and the Pilot would save them from the controlling Society, but they are beginning to see that even the rebellion has its flaws. 

While I really enjoyed Matched, I struggled a bit with the pace and length of this book.  It seemed to go on FOREVER.  I never really got into the poetry aspect and the fixation on "paper" was lost on me.  In this day and age when everything is digital, I can see where they are coming from with the lack of writing on actual paper, but I don't see the lack of paper itself as being detrimental. I would have connected more if the focus was on free thinking, creativity, and the fine arts that were all but eliminated from life in the Society vs. the lack of paper.

Overall, I think this story could have been told in half as many pages and would have been considerably more enjoyable. As it was, I rally had to force myself to keep reading.  Ally did bring everything to a nice conclusion, but if I were to go into this series knowing what I do now, I would have stopped after reading Matched.  I don't feel like I really gained much over the course of the final two books.

No comments:

Post a Comment