Thursday, March 16, 2017

Review: This Girl by Colleen Hoover

This Girl (Slammed, #3)

This Girl is a retelling of Slammed and parts of Point of Retreat from Will's point of view, but there is some new content mixed in.  Will and Lake have been down a LONG road.  They have finally gotten married and are on their honeymoon, which is where This Girl begins.  We get bits and pieces of present day, but the vast majority of the book consists of Will telling stories about their past.  We get to hear his perspective on the major events that took place in the first two books.  We also get to witness several encounters between Will and Lake's mom that Lake and the readers were not aware of until now.

If you are a fan of the series this is a worthwhile read; however, I would not recommend reading it as a stand alone.  I don't think readers would get much out of this book without the knowledge and back story from the first two novels.

It was nice getting to see Will and Lake finally receiving their happily ever after, but there was something missing.  I absolutely LOVED Slammed, so perhaps my expectations were too high.  Or it could have been the fact that I listed to this on audio while I read the first two novels.  I had my interpretation of the characters, but when I listed to Lake she came across as whiny at times. 

I ended up giving This Girl 3 stars, so it wasn't even close to the 5 stars I gave Slammed.  I have recommended Slammed to countless readers, but this is one I would leave up to the individual.  It was a nice read, but it isn't a must in my opinion.  I really enjoyed the epilogue, so I probably would have preferred a short story or a novella with just the new content vs. a retelling of a story I was already familiar with.  

2 comments:

  1. I agree that this one can't necessarily be read as a stand alone - you'd miss all the context. And even though this wasn't the strongest of the series, I still really enjoyed it. Getting Will's POV was great and I loved getting to see the interactions between he and Lake's mom that we hadn't seen or known about before.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed all of the new content in this book. I think my biggest issue was Lake making Will rehash their difficult past when they should have been having the time of their lives.

      Delete