Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Review: The Guard by Kiera Cass


The Guard is a retelling of a few scenes in The Elite from Aspen's perspective, so I would definitely read The Elite before reading this novella.  In addition, there are several new scenes that give us a better understanding of what life is like for Aspen and some of the other guards and staff.  This novella provides a more realistic picture of what the rebel attacks are like and gives the reader a chance to hear some of Aspen's thoughts on the Maxon/America/Aspen love triangle.  We also get to see some of the behind the scenes business transactions involving the King, which are just as shady as you would expect.

I was very nervous about reading this story because I am 100% Team Maxon.  I read The Prince as soon as it was released and LOVED it, but I wasn't sure how I would feel about this one.  Overall, I felt like it was a nice addition to the series.  I will never be an Aspen supporter, but I have a grater appreciation for his character after reading The Guard.

There is one scene involving Maxon, which I was VERY happy to see.  I wish there were more, but I guess I can't be greedy since it is Aspen's novella.  

2 comments:

  1. Hello I am nominating you for the Sunshine Award. You can click on the link to my blog to see more details on how to accept the award. http://ouachitaya.blogspot.com/2014/04/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nomination!!! Unfortunately, I do not accept awards.

      Delete