Friday, July 13, 2012

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I will not attempt to write an official review of Harry Potter.  Everyone I know has already read all of the books and watched the movies multiple times.  I read the first 3 books as soon as they were released, but I did not have time...or rather I used my spare time while in College in less productive ways than reading the rest of the Harry Potter series.  Once I graduated, I still had an issue with motivation due to the size of the books.  I simply did not want to carry around these HUGE books, even though I LOVE the series.

Last year the Book Nerds guilted me into reading books 4 and 5.  Of course, I loved them.  I walked around the hospital carrying my hard copies of the books and just about everyone had a comment.  Even physicians I didn't know would stop me in the elevator/hallway/etc. to share their two cents on the book and to find out if I was enjoying it.

This year I was determined to complete the series.  I have been very disciplined and have not watched any of the movies until after I finished the books, so the material is still completely new to me.  There have been a few things that I have heard over the years, but for the most part I have been able to avoid spoilers. 

I will be sure to update you when I complete the series, but for now...

I FINISHED BOOK 6!!!

It was just as good as the previous five books ( 5 stars) and I look forward to seeing what is in store for Harry and his friends in the final book.  I like the relationships that developed towards the end of the book. The scene between Harry and Ginny after the quidditch match was PERFECT.  It wasn't all planned out and awkward...it just happened.  Also....SNAPE and MALFOY!!!  Did that really happen?  After six books Harry can FINALLY say I TOLD YOU SO.

While writing this post I thought of two questions I would love your input on.

First, can you think of a series prior to Harry Potter that really appealed to both teens and adults to this magnitude?  Since Harry Potter we have had series such as Twilight, The Hunger Games, and The Mortal Instruments, but I can't think of anything prior to Harry Potter. 

Finally, what are your thoughts on J.K. Rowling releasing a book for adults?  Do you plan on reading it?  I most likely will give it a try, but I do have this to say... I tried reading The Host by Stephanie Meyer because I loved the Twilight series.  This is her adult series, but I was VERY disappointed.  I read the first two chapters and called it quits.  It was a very strange sci-fi book, which I had NO interest in.  I talked to several of my friends and they advised me not to continue reading it.  I sincerely hope J.K. Rowling will write something that appeals to the fan base she has already established and will not deviate as far as Meyer did.

No comments:

Post a Comment