Monday, June 11, 2012

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini



For those of you who are not familiar with the Starcrossed series by Josephine Angelini, I thought I would post a review of the first book in the series prior to posting my review of Dreamless.

I took four years of Latin in high school, so I was familiar with some of the Greek mythology this story is based upon.  This is; however, the first Greek fiction I have ever read.  I LOVED it. 

Helen grew up on Nantucket (a small island in Massachusetts) and was always aware of the fact that she was different, but never understood why.  While Helen and her friends had an interesting dynamic, the story didn't really take off until the Delos family arrived on the island.  I enjoyed discovering Helen's unique abilities along with her and sharing in Lucas and Helen's developing relationship.  From mortal enemies to destined lovers, I couldn't help but root for them.  I was absolutely devastated by some of the twists that took place the last third of the book.  The readers become aware of at least one lie that greatly impacts the characters, but they have yet to discover it.  How many other lies they have been fed has yet to be determined.  Angelini left me completely thirsting for Dreamless, which is scheduled to be released in May 2012. (For those who have read the book, the pun is intended.)  I can only hope that over the course of the next two books the main characters will unravel the lies, Helen and Lucas will conquer the Demigod world together, and the Delos family (including Helen) will live happily ever after. Is this too much to ask for? I don't think so.  It is fiction after all.

The next paragraph contains a mild spoiler. You may want to skip to below the next picture if you want to keep this spoiler free.

The one issue that I had with this book is the same one that I had with the Mortal Instruments series.  Why do authors feel the need to have their characters fall in love and then, in the last few chapters, spring the fact that they are somehow related upon us?  In this case specifically, the Scions are portrayed as having extreme intelligence.  Lucas also has the unique ability to detect when someone is telling a lie.  Why is it then that they cannot determine based upon simple mathematics that Helen's father couldn't possibly be who her mother says he is?  The man in question (who was related to Lucas) died well before the time she was conceived.  Any fan of Jerry Springer could have put two and two together in this case.  Why can't our brilliant Scions figure this out? 

Jacque, Amy Plum, Josie Angelini, and Book Nerd Flo at the RT Book Convention
I was fortunate enough to meet Josie at the RT book convention in Chicago last April.  I was able to discuss the book with her and Amy Plum, who is the author of Die for Me and Until I Die.  While Josie wouldn't give away any spoilers, she did tell us at the speed reading question and answer session that a MAJOR character will die in the third book.  She also said that since this is a Greek tragedy, we should not get our hopes up for a happily ever after type of ending to this series.  What does that mean?  I can only hope that she is not referring to Lucas and Helen when it comes to a tragic ending.  Josie did promise to send Flo and I an advance copy of the final book in the series and Amy was our witness.  Hopefully, we will not have to wait too terribly long to find out how this series will conclude. 

2 comments:

  1. Good review. I am happy to have read this prior to starting the book. My only problem with these trilogy's is having to wait for the last installment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it!! I have Dreamless, book 2, which you will want to read also. Ms. Magee would be happy that I have been brushing up on my Greek mythology.

      Delete